Rhino Ark seeks solutions in the mountain range ecosystems of Kenya and for the benefit of Eastern Africa generally to:
- Conserve such ecologically precious indigenous forests and their provision of vital environmental services;
- Create a sustainable and harmonious environment that enables people and wildlife, including all flora and fauna, to coexist;
- Create and provide sustainable programmes for forest edge communities based on payments for ecosystem services. Such programmes and projects will be tailored to create income generation for the communities that support the conservation of natural resources;
- Mobilize stakeholders nationwide and internationally for initiatives to protect and conserve the habitat and promote managed use of forest products for the benefit of present and future generations;
- Raise funds and other forms of support to develop sound management processes over entire eco-systems.
- Create frameworks where wider society and forest edge communities become involved in the management processes through public-private partnerships;
- Build mechanisms and management structures to prevent illegal exploitation of the forest habitat wherever it is threatened.
In so doing all stakeholders will benefit and the flora and fauna, particularly endangered species, will be better secured.
Our conservation work is anchored in three key values:
- Protecting ecosystem integrity;
- Ensuring full involvement of and participation by local communities;
- Forming effective partnerships